Capital Port Blair Official Language Hindi, English
One of the most prominent union territory of India, the Andaman and Nicobar Island has been a part of the Indian republic since Independence and its capital is Port Blair. The official speaking language is English. The other major languages spoken in the islands are Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Nicobarese. Other minor spoken languages are Kurukh/Oraon, Munda and Kharia. Andaman Creole Hindi is widely used as a trade language in the Andamans. The two cities are Port Blair and Car Nicobar.
What is astounding?
It is an Indian island in the heart of the Bay of Bengal, Andamanese have diversified into distinct linguistic, cultural and territorial groups. The tribals of Nicobar are still native and not been exposed to the outside world and they have a living and lifestyle of their own undisturbed by modernization. The Andaman & Nicobar Islands have a tropical rainforest canopy making it a place for tremendous natural reserves, grasslands are found only in the Nicobar Islands. Andaman & Nicobar Islands is a major Tourism hub with its exotic beaches and pristine islands having unique names with wonderful opportunities for adventure sports like snorkeling and sea-walking.
- Burmese and Thai influence in the cooking
- Sea foods - prawns, fish, lobsters, crabs
NicobarNorth & Middle AndamanSouth Andaman
The beautiful scenic island with the aura of the fresh sea water and fish always in air is a world famous attraction for people from all strata of life.
Some of the attractions are:
- Radhanagar Beach (Havelock Island)
- Cellular Jail (Port Blair)
- Jolly Buoy Island (Port Blair)
- Ross Island (Port Blair)
- Elephant Beach (Havelock Island)
- Kaala Pathar Beach (Havelock Island)
- Makruzz (Port Blair)
- Laxmanpur Beach (Neil)
- The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are part of India. Folk traditions - Moken sea-farers Ritual tribal dance.
- Andaman and Nicobar culture show a mix of the indigenous cultures of the settlers of the island, as well as a more mainstream culture brought down by the descendants.
- The ethnic groups - Andamanese, Onge, Jarawa, and Sentinalese.
- The Nicobar tribes - Nicobari (Nicobarese) and Shompen.
The main air lift life line for the Militarily Strategic Indian island:
- The Veer Savarkar International Airport.
- Being a strategic defence point, there are two Naval Ships with air landing facilities and an Air Force Base.